Thursday, April 16, 2009

A Writers Gathering

I spent last evening with members of my fiction writing group, The Puget Sound Writers Guild. We gather weekly to hear and critique presented chapters of our ongoing work. The critiques were thoughtful and given to encourage writers to push for their best possible work. I am awed at the perceptive minds and colorful personalities that are committed to one another's growth as writers. To critique without criticizing; to disagree with humor; to care while challenging. We so love our craft that we are currently teaching a group of novice writers what we were given by our now-deceased mentor. The are a wonderful, committed, zany group of people. They will fit right in. Soon they will be joining us.

Benedict's Rule is framed to provide guidance about bringing disparate backgrounds and personalities together in respectful peace. The strength of gracious hospitality. I experience a peace that allows me to flourish as I am (as my first best person) and to support and challenge those around me to become better selves. I am blessed by the presence of guests: our regular guests and especially the unexpected ones.

1 comment:

  1. "The strength of gracious hospitality." I hear a book coming on... !

    ReplyDelete