Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Practice

Yesterday I immersed myself in music. I practiced my recorder alone, then I spent an hour with a friend playing duets. In the evening I took another friend and myself off to the local Pub and enjoyed an evening of jigs and reels performed by local musicians passionate about Irish music. I was inspired by their talent and their facility. It takes me scores (maybe even hundreds) of repetitions before I master a difficult phrase. My teacher told me recently that the adage, "Practice makes perfect" is not quite true. It is really perfect practice that makes perfect. He cautioned me to make sure that what I repeat over and over again as I practice is actually correct.

The spiritual life takes practice, too. It is not so easy to practice my life perfectly, though. So I may fall down, and get up and try again; fall down and get up and try again; fall down and get up and try again. St. Benedict wrote a simple rule for beginners. I take great comfort in that I do not need to be perfect, only perfectly willing to get up and try again.

1 comment: