Friday, May 21, 2010

Spring at the Priory



Spring is beautiful here on the St. Placid Priory grounds. The air bathed with fresh rains has a fragrance like no other time of the year. The rhododendrons are in bloom and brighten the otherwise shady places with lush and abundant color. Returning migratory birds sing in our forest in a chorus of sound that brings me outside many times during the day. I just now spotted a pair of Wilson's warblers, bright yellow, chipping away full throated. How can such a small bird make such a BIG sound?

The forest floor, especially on the Sacred Path of Enchantment, is covered with millions of tiny white flowers. What a show!

I hope you find time to step outside in spring days and discover something going on that fills you with hope and renewal.

2 comments:

  1. "How can such a small bird make such a BIG sound?"

    My wife and I wonder the same about the local Carolina wrens and house wrens that live in our birdhouses. They really throw their whole selves into singing.

    Every years spring is wonderful, and never gets old. It just reeks of optimism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I posted a pic at my blog that reminds me of where you live.

    ReplyDelete