Sunday, May 31, 2009

On the Edges


A few days ago, I was inspired to take some pictures outdoors. The weather was lovely, and many of our flowers were in bloom.

After enjoying my leisurely walk around the monastery, recording (as I thought) some of the most beautiful flowers, I went inside to look at the pictures on the computer.

I was a little disappointed. The sun was bright, so that much of the color was washed out, or the contrast was too great.

I began to look more closely at the pictures, trying to find the beauty I had seen outdoors. When I began in the upper left corner and scanned across, I found an image I liked--this one of leaves, dark and light. This was not what had attracted me to the original subject...yet it ended up being what spoke to me of beauty.

As I reflected on this experience, it seemed to me that this is sometimes what happens in my life. What first attracts me may end up being not as beautiful as I thought...or I find on looking closer that there is much more depth in what is on the edges of my awareness. I need only take the time to look, to see more deeply, to appreciate the true beauty always present.

1 comment:

  1. "...there is much more depth in what is on the edges..." spoke to me, SDR, in your posting. I love that phrase! Sounds like a poem in the making.

    ReplyDelete